Sunday, April 20, 2014

"mom..."
"honey, just be yourself"
"but that's hard to do..."

I can't be myself when everyone around me is constantly changing into someone I don't even recognize.

I am standing on a patch of ice, and the ice is starting to melt. The ice around me keep breaking off and sailing away, floating farther and farther across the sea. The only piece of ice I recognize is the one I am standing on. But even that is uneven ground, and I'm not sure I can keep my balance much longer.

I don't know who to trust anymore. Who was once my good friend is now stabbing backs and ruining relationships. My cousin, who was always so strong has broken, and is now watching her blood flow from her wrists to the bathroom floor. I am back on the ice and I have fallen. I can't think straight. Who am i who am i who am i. Everyones lives are falling apart when mine is just beginning and I feel like I don't know anything anymore. I don't know what to do. I don't how to act. I don't know why i am pretending to be so confident when really I am so confused.

But then I look up and I see the moon. It is constant. At least for tonight.





1 comment:

  1. "The only piece of ice I recognize is the one I am standing on. But even that is uneven ground" You capture what the confusion is so well.

    ReplyDelete