Sunday, April 20, 2014

jealousy

The Rider
By: Naomi Shihab Nye
(East 7)

This poem was really simple, but its still worth reading. The beginning starts out,

" a boy told me if he roller-skated fast enough, his loneliness couldn't catch up to him, the best reason I ever heard for trying to be a champion."

This whole part made me jealous. It just really stood out to me. Maybe its because I find myself saying the same thing,. But I've never thought of myself as a champion. So then I was thinking about champions, and how we usually root for the one we like the best, because maybe we have the most in common.

She goes on to say, " what I wonder tonight pedaling hard down king William street is if it translates to bicycles"

we are all trying to escape something, whether its loneliness, abandonment, maybe even graduation? We all have something that we are running away from.

At the end she wrote, "a victory! To leave your loneliness panting behind you..."

This is like that moment when you are finally free. When you have finally moved on or left it behind, or forgotten.

and it is a victory.



No comments:

Post a Comment